A few days ago I shared a sketch I made during a drawing workshop. The sketch was of a bookcase and was drawn ‘blind’, which is to say that I only looked at the subject while drawing, not at the paper. The drawing was completed using a single line, and as luck would have it – the finished work fits nicely into a postcard sized mount.

Blind Drawing Bookcase

I enjoyed drawing this and wanted to play with the shape some more, so I traced the outline onto some card using ink this time instead of pencil. Next I added some watercolour and more ink to the picture before mounting it.

Traced Bookcase

Here they are side by side.

Pair of Bookcases

Update : This artwork is now sold.


I found myself in London with a little spare time last Friday. I had with me an Aquash brush, some watercolour pans, two or three water colour pencils and a small mount. I sketched this landscape in about half an hour. It’s night time in the picture, the hills in the distance are supposed to have lots of trees on them, and I was trying to create an effect of moonlight, both through a lightly cloudy sky and on the water. Given I didn’t have much time and only basic materials – I think the end product is OK. I gave the picture away as a birthday card later that evening.


To The Sea

Some of you may remember, on our 2014 Summer holiday to France I had a frustrated attempt at making a travel based collage, a la Kurt Schwitters. I also had a couple of abstract attempts to represent water, and at the time I wondered if I might combine the two ideas.

Last weekend I came across the bag of travel tickets I kept from the trip and decided to pursue the combination idea. I cut and played with a number of shapes and thoughts, before deciding on this:

To The Sea

The tickets pieces are intended to represent the journey itself, and the kind of plant life you might find in the sea – that’s the idea at least!

I had several attempts at playing with this design and it changed a lot on the way. The big spray of tickets in the middle took a while to form in my mind, and once it did, the rest came quite quickly.

Unfortunately I can’t find most of the earlier photographs, but here are the final tweaks as the design came to life. This piece is on 24 x 32 cm 270 g/m2 water colour paper.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.